Write a Python program that finds the sum of all the elements in a list of numbers in Python. Here I described something new that will help you out in good ways like how you can find out sum a list in Python.
How To Sum A List In Python
total = 0 # creating a list list1 = [11, 5, 17, 18, 23] # Iterate each element in list # and add them in variable total for ele in range(0, len(list1)): total = total + list1[ele] # printing total value print(total)
- So, first of all, we made a variable name is: total
- Second, we took a list randomly.
- Then arrange them in for loop in Python.
- There we also took a length function to see the total length of list.
- There just put a trick that will sum a list in Python automatically.
- Like took a variable then plus sign symbol and then assign the list variable.
Example #2 : Using while() loop
total = 0 ele = 0 # creating a list list1 = [11, 5, 17, 18, 23] # Iterate each element in list # and add them in variable total while(ele < len(list1)): total = total + list1[ele] ele += 1 # printing total value print(total)
- Here we made two variables one is: the total second is ele
- So, one random list.
- Put the while loop to get the sum of the list.
- And as you know well too about length function is common to get the total length of a list.
- Then the same trick as we used above but one is also required to find sum value by value.
- Then simply, print out the total variable at the end outside the loop.
The first method is to use the Naive technique. The second method is to use a NumPy array.
Numpy is a read data library that can be used for a wide range of applications. It comes at a high working with these arrays objects and facilities for manipulating it. The third method is to use zip() and list comprehension.
You turn the data into a NumPy array and feed it to the np. sum() method. The axis argument of the sum function specifies which axis the sum value should be calculated along. Use axis=0 if you wish to sum across columns.
Let’s have a practice also of how to use Python Try Except that’s pretty cool.